Although it’s after the summer rush, Autumn is a great time to sell your home! Check out these fall selling tips to get your home sold this upcoming season!
- Clean the fireplace: Be sure to clear away any cobwebs and to clean out the fireplace so it shows well. Stage it with logs or try putting candles or other items inside the fireplace instead.
- Spruce up the yard: Take care of dead leaves and trim trees and bushes as needed. Trim away dead flowers and other summer vegetation and consider putting potted mums or marigolds on the front porch to add some curb appeal.
- Give the HVAC system some attention: Make sure the furnace filter is replaced if needed so that when the furnace is in use the air is fresh. If it’s been awhile since the system has been cleaned and serviced it may be a good time to get routine maintenance done.
- Let the sunshine in: All of the wind and rain from the summer months makes for dirty windows once autumn comes along. Clean the windows inside and out to let more light into your home and to brighten up spaces.
Congratulations to a great family on buying and selling! We wish you many happy years in your new home!
Check out these good smelling houseplants that not only look great but they will also make your house smell great as well!
- Rosemary: This woodsy smelling plant’s scent is thought to increase brain power
- Devil’s Ivy: This plant helps to eliminate fumes from paint and glue
- Peace Lily: This beautiful plant assists in ridding a home of new carpet and upholstery smells
- Lavender: This gorgeous purple plant looks stunning and helps promote relaxation and sleep making it a good choice for the bedroom
- Sharry Baby Orchid: A unique plant with either a chocolate or vanilla scent
- Jasmine: This pretty plant offers a sweet scent
- Mother-in-Law Tongue: This amazing plant converts carbon dioxide into oxygen
- Mums: This popular fall plant helps reduce toxins from cigarette smoke
Dawn is a recipient of the 2017 Five Star Professional Award!
Five Star Professional partnered with Chicago magazine to recognize a select group of Chicago-area professionals who provide exceptional service to their clients. This group of outstanding Chicago professionals represents fewer than 7 percent of all professionals in the market and is featured in the October issue. Professionals are measured using an objective, in-depth research methodology with significant focus on customer feedback and overall satisfaction.
Are you taking care of your home? Are any of your home maintenance methods doing more harm than good? Find out if you are making any of these home maintenance mistakes!
- Overusing chemical drain cleaners: When most people get a clogged drain, they turn to a drain cleaner instead of paying a plumber, but is that always a good choice? Drain cleaners and even baking soda and vinegar can break down and deteriorate pipes over time. A drain snake or a $2 tool called a Zip-It may be a better way to go in the long run.
- Sealing countertops too often: Natural stone, glass, butcher block, and concrete counters only need occasional sealing while laminate, Quartz, and Corian are best without a sealer. Sealing a counter too often can result in a streaky and cloudy appearance. A good rule of thumb for knowing when to re-seal is to put a small amount of water on the countertop; if it doesn’t bead up and stay that way for 15 minutes, it may be time to re-seal.
- Using too much bleach: Bleach can be useful around the home but using too much of it can do more harm than good. Did you know that bleach can discolor laminate and colored grout, fade acrylic tubs, actually dissolve vinyl flooring and more?
- Improperly storing firewood: Many homeowners keep firewood piled outside the home and against an exterior wall. While that may be an easy storage spot, it can cause a huge problem. Keeping wood against the house invites termites to live there. Instead, keeping wood stored at least twenty feet away from the home will keep termites at bay.
There are lot’s of fun Shorewood events still coming up this summer! Check out this list of things for the whole family to do!
- Tonight, Thursday July 27th at 6:30 pm at Towne Center Park Band Shell is Party In The Park! Head over to hear the band Strung Out play 70’s rock. Towne Center Park Band Shell is located at One Towne Center Blvd in Shorewood.
- Tuesday, August 1st from 5:30-8:00 pm is National Night Out 2017 at the Shorewood Police Department located at 903 West Jefferson Street. This fun yearly event will feature a DJ, moon jump, station tours, “touch a squad”, raffles, taser demonstrations, food and drinks, and firearms demonstrations.
There are lot’s of fun Plainfield events coming up! Check out this list of local events in the area! There is something to do for everyone in the family!
- Tonight, Tuesday July 25th, Cruise Night in downtown Plainfield from 5-9 pm featuring classic cars
- Friday, July 28th at 8:30 pm Movie Night will take place at Settler’s Park. The Secret Life Of Pets will be shown.
- Sunday, July 30th from 12-4 pm is the farmer’s market at 15025 S Illinois Street in Plainfield
- Friday, August 4th from 4:30-7 pm is Food Truck Friday at Lake Renwick Preserve-Turtle Lake Access located at 23113 W Lockport Street in Plainfield. This is an event for the entire family and will feature delicious food as well as fun activities.
- Save money on furniture: Most people know about hitting up garage sales and taking advantage of specials that stores run, but did you know about local chapters of the Buy Nothing Project? These Facebook groups are for people to post items they want to give away for free, lend, or share with neighbors. Check out your local group and see what household supplies, furniture, etc you can find!
- Save money on home insurance: Installing safety devices in your home such as a security system can earn you about a 5% discount on your home insurance policy. Bundling home, auto and life insurance can save you even more.
- Invest in floor models: When purchasing appliances, consider going for the floor model. Doing so can save a considerable amount of money.
- Keep cleaning supplies simple: Instead of spending money on several different types of specialty cleaning products, keep your cleaning supplies simple by sticking with all purpose cleaners, white vinegar and mild dish soap.
- Appeal your property taxes: If you think the value of your home has decreased since it was last assessed, try appealing your taxes. You may be surprised at the money you can save if your taxes are lowered.
Food Truck Friday is coming up on Friday, August 4th from 4:30 pm to 7 pm at Lake Renwick Preserve! This event is free for the whole family. Rogue Curbside Kitchen will be serving sandwiches and more, Carnivale will be serving Latin fusion, and Ugly Truckin Sandwiches will serve a variety of fresh sandwiches. District staff will be available with preserve information, binoculars and field guides. Take advantage of this cool opportunity to enjoy delicious food and to explore nature. No registration is required. For more information, call 815-727-8700.
Real Trends 2017 America’s Best Real Estate Agent rankings were just released and the Dawn Dause Group is ranked #16 across all agencies in the state of Illinois!