The first ever Restaurant Week will take place Feb. 17th-26th and will feature local restaurants from both Plainfield and Shorewood! Check out this special new event for great discounts at local eateries. Below is a list of the participating restaurants and discounts offered:
- Embers Tap House in Lockport: 20% off
- Jitters Coffee House, Joliet: 20% off
- Flavors: The Buffet, Joliet: 20% off
- Cherry Hill Cafe in Joliet: Buy one entree, get one free
- Ashbury’s at Boughton Ridge in Bolingbrook, buy one entree, get one free
- The Public Landing, Lockport: buy one entree, get one free
- Big Fish Bar & Grille, Wilmington: free appetizer, dessert, or side
- Al’s Steak House, Joliet, free appetizer, dessert, or side
- Creative Concepts in Joliet, free appetizer, dessert, or side
- Cross Street Grill in Joliet, free appetizer, dessert, or side
- Tin Roof in Joliet, free appetizer, dessert, or side
- Truth in Joliet, free appetizer, dessert, or side
- Wine & Cheese by TCC in Plainfield, free appetizer, dessert, or side
- Juliet’s in Joliet: special prix-fixe menu
- The Reserve (Harrah’s) in Joliet: special prix-fixe menu
- Little Saigon, Shorewood: special prix-fixe menu
- Morris Chop Shop in Morris: deal to be announced
- Chicago Street Pub in Joliet: deal to be announced
This weekend is supposed to be SUPER cold making it perfect weather to enjoy some delicious soup! Here’s a soup recipe to try out this chilly weekend. Check out my Pinterest page for recipes, design ideas, helpful hints and more!
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
Adapted from a recipe by Gal On A Mission
- 1 large onion diced or 1 cup of diced onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 spring of rosemary chopped or substitute 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 large fresh basil leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 20 ounces of three cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- Put the onion, garlic, olive oil and fresh rosemary in a soup pot or a dutch oven. Saute over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, chicken stock and heavy cream and stir until incorporated together. Simmer for 18-20 minutes.
- Add the tortellini into the soup and cook for an additional 12-15 minutes or until the pasta is tender and cooked through.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Serve and garnish with more parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves if desired.
Amy’s Organics offers fresh and healthy food delivered to your door. Amy’s offers produce, eggs, dairy, meats, and other extras. Weekly home delivery is available to Plainfield, Shorewood, Aurora, Bolingbrook, Crest Hill, Joliet, Montgomery, Naperville, Oswego, and Yorkville. During the summer months, you can find Amy’s Organics at the Plainfield farmer’s market on Saturdays and the Oswego farmer’s market on Sundays. For more information, including prices and an online shopping site, visit amys-organics.myshopify.com.You can also call (815) 483-8627 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This bitterly cold day is perfect for enjoying a nice warm bowl of chili….
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 large chopped onion (yellow or white)
4 minced garlic cloves
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans of kidney beans
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 (4 oz) can chopped jalapenos
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup dark beer
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican mix)
1/2 cup sour cream
- Cook ground beef in a large frying pan. While cooking, stir and chop beef with spatula to crumble. Continue cooking for about 7 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked.
- Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, cayenne and Tabasco. Cook while stirring, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large pot. Add the kidney beans (juice and all), canned tomatoes (juice and all), tomato paste, jalapenos (juice and all), sugar, and beer. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top individual bowls of chili with sour cream and cheese. Serves 4-6.
With Valentine’s Day only a week away, it’s time to start thinking about how you will celebrate with your sweetheart. The Melting Pot fondue restaurant in Naperville is a great spot to enjoy a delicious and romantic meal. They will be featuring a one night only Valentine’s Day menu perfect for a date with your sweetie. The menu includes Champagne Swiss cheese fondue, passion salad with honey-lime Dijon dressing, a platter of fondue favorites including chicken proven cal, garlic and wine sliced sirloin, Filet Mignon, shrimp diazole, Ahi tuna, wild mushroom spaghetti, asparagus, baby portabella mushrooms, fingerling potatoes, broccoli florets, plus a cold water lobster tail for reservations between 5:00 and 10:00 pm. For dessert enjoy dark chocolate or white chocolate creme brulee.
Call the Melting Pot at (630) 717-8301 to make your reservations.
There is a new McDonald’s opening today in Plainfield at Route 30 and 135th street at 11 am. The first 100 customers will receive a Free Extra Value Meal, coffee, or fries for one year. There will be a similar offer given on Saturday, Feb. 8th along with face painting available from noon to 1 pm.
Image from www.plainfield.patch.com
Other activities on the schedule include:
Saturday, Feb. 15th Ronald McDonald will visit from noon to 1 pm
Tuesday, Feb. 18th Come by and meet former Chicago Blackhawks Hall of Famer Tony Esposito from 4-6pm
Saturday, Feb 22nd Balloon artist from noon to 1 pm