The holiday weekend is upon us! Check out this list of 4th of July weekend activities that you can do with the whole family!
- Go to a parade
- Take in a fireworks show-check out my list of local fireworks displays here
- Make a special 4th of July treat-check out Pinterest for ideas or try these Firecracker Pancakes by Betty Crocker:
-2 cups of Bisquick
– 1 cup of milk
-1 teaspoon of vanilla
-1 cup powdered sugar
-1/4 cup of milk
-1 teaspoon of vanilla
-red and blue food coloring
- Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat.
- In a bowl, stir together the pancake ingredients with a whisk until just mixed.
- To make a pancake, pour slightly less than a 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet. Cook for approximately 30 seconds or until the edges look dry and then flip, cooking until pancake is light golden brown.
- To create the glaze, beat the powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of milk, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla with a whisk until it comes together and is smooth. Divide the glaze evenly into 3 bowls, leaving one white and tinting the other two with the blue and red food coloring.
- To finish the pancakes, drizzle the red, white, and blue glaze over the pancakes and serve.
- Host a BBQ for family and friends
- Head to a beach-Lake Geneva isn’t too far and it’s beautiful!
- Have a family picnic
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner! Here are some of the best romantic restaurants in the area!
- Sovereign: 24205 W Lockport Street (815) 556-8577
- Wine & Cheese by TCC: 24104 W Lockport Street (815) 436-3499
- Capri Sogno: 24102 Lockport Street (815) 733-5815
- Volar: 24136 W Lockport Street (815) 267-6372
- Paris Bistro: 2835 Showplace Drive (630) 357-1005
- Meson Sabika: 1025 Aurora Avenue (630) 983-3000
- La Sorella Di Francesca: 18 W Jefferson Avenue (630) 961-2706
- Pizzeria NEO: 47 E Chicago Avenue (630) 922-8200
- The Melting Pot: 4931 S Route 59 (630) 717-8301
- Little Saigon: 201 Vertin Blvd (815) 782-6395
- Tin Roof: 158 N Chicago Street (815) 727-0123
- Barolo Ristorante: 2765 Black Road (815) 729-3606
- Al’s Steak House: 1990 W Jefferson Street (815) 725-2388
- Tallgrass Restaurant: 1006 S State Street (815) 838-5566
- Bavette’s Bar & Boeuf: 218 W Kinzie Street (312) 624-8154
- Penumbra Wine Bar: 3309 W Fullerton Avenue (773) 772-2343
- Bandera Restaurant: 535 North Michigan Avenue (312) 644-3524
- A Tavola: 2148 W Chicago Avenue (773) 276-7567
- MK Restaurant: 868 N Franklin Street (312) 482-9179
- DiSotto Enoteca: 200 E Chestnut Street (312) 482-8727
- RM Champagne Salon: 116 North Green Street (312) 243-1199
- Boka: 1729 North Halsted Street (312) 337-6070
Do you have plans for New Years Eve 2016 yet? If not, there are plenty of fun events to choose from!
- New Year’s Eve Bash at MORA Asian Fusion includes appetizers, open bar and champagne toast at midnight. Party goes from 9:30 pm to 12:30 am and is $95 per person. MORA Asian Fusion is located at 24108 W Lockport St. Plainfield, IL 60544 and phone number is 815-782-5340.
- New Year’s Eve Gala by the Church at Joliet includes dinner, worship, praise, and prizes. The party begins at 8:30 pm and the cost is $40 for Adults, Teens/Young Adults 14-18 is $20 and children 13 and under are $10. Party is located at George’s 174 Banquet Hall, 1407 Essington Road in Joliet.
- Stone City Saloon NYE party from 10 pm to 3 am. This party is for those 21 and over and includes a dinner buffet, DJ, champagne toast and party favors. Tickets need to be purchased in advance and are $50. For more information call 815-524-4704.
- Zoo Year’s Eve celebration in the Holly Jolly Theater includes live DJ music, party favors, games, prizes and an early countdown beginning at 8 pm. The celebration is perfect for children ages 6 and under. The cost is $17.85 for adults, seniors 65 and older are $12.50 and children ages 3-11 are $12.50. Active, reservist and retired members of the military are free with an ID. Parking for the event is $11.
- Noon Year’s Eve Jump at Pump it Up located at 11411 W 183rd Street in Orland Park. Times are 9:30 am to 12 pm and 12:30 pm to 3 pm. The cost is $10 per child and adults can jump free of charge. For more information call 708-479-2220.
- New Year’s Eve with Dabylon at Ballydoyle. Reggae and Ska music will be played and the event includes a champagne toast and party favors. The cost is $10 per person. Ballydoyle is located at 28 W New York Street in Aurora. For more information call 630-844-0400.
Many families enjoy the holiday tradition of gathering together and watching Christmas classics. Here is a Christmas movie guide that will take you right through the holiday (all times are central):
Monday December 12th:
- 4:30 pm “Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas” on Freeform
- 6:00 pm “The Polar Express” on Freeform
- 7:00 pm “Meet Me In St. Louis” on TCM
- 8:00 pm “The Greatest Holiday Commercials Countdown” on CW
- 9:00 pm “Elf” on Freeform
Tuesday December 13th:
- 8:00 pm “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” on Freeform
Wednesday December 14th:
- 6:00 pm “Arthur Christmas” on Freeform
- 7:00 pm “Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas” on TNT
- 8:00 pm “The Santa Claus” on Freeform
Thursday December 15th:
- 7:00 pm “iHeart Radio Jingle Ball 2016” on CW
- 8:00 pm “The Search For Santa Paws” on Freeform
Friday December 16th:
- 4:30 pm “Jingle All The Way” on Freeform
- 10:55 pm “Disney’s A Christmas Carol” on Freeform
Saturday December 17th:
- 7:00 pm “I Want A Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown” on ABC
Sunday December 18th:
- 7:00 pm “Sleigh Bells Ring” on Hallmark
Thursday December 22nd:
- 7:00 pm “Terry Crews Saves Christmas” on CW
- 7:00 pm “Holiday Affair” on TCM
- 10:30 pm “A Christmas Carol” on TCM
- 12:15 am “Babes In Toyland” on TCM
Friday December 23rd:
- 6:00 am “Frosty’s Winter Wonderland” on Freeform
- 6:30 am “Jack Frost” on Freeform
- 3:35 pm “Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town” on Freeform
- 7:00 pm “A Home For The Holidays” on CBS
- 11:00 pm “Home Alone: The Holiday Heist” on Freeform
Saturday December 24th:
- 9:15 am “Scrooge” on TCM
- 2:30 pm “The Polar Express” on Freeform
- 3:00 pm “The Shop Around The Corner” on TCM
- 7:00 pm “It’s A Wonderful Life” on NBC
- 7:00 pm “A Christmas Story” on TBS
- 1:00 am “The Man Who Came To Dinner” on TCM
- 3:00 am “Bell, Book And Candle” on TCM
Sunday December 25th:
- 5:00 am “A Christmas Story” on TBS
- 5:00 am “Going My Way” on TCM
- 8:00 am “The Disney Parks’ Magical Christmas Celebration” on ABC
- 8:10 am “Santa Buddies: The Legend Of Santa Paws” on Freeform
- 11:00 am “A Christmas Story” on TBS
- 3:35 pm “The Year Without A Santa Claus” on Freeform
- 8:00 pm “When Calls The Heart” on Hallmark
With Valentine’s Day only a week away, it’s time to start thinking about how you will celebrate with your sweetheart. The Melting Pot fondue restaurant in Naperville is a great spot to enjoy a delicious and romantic meal. They will be featuring a one night only Valentine’s Day menu perfect for a date with your sweetie. The menu includes Champagne Swiss cheese fondue, passion salad with honey-lime Dijon dressing, a platter of fondue favorites including chicken proven cal, garlic and wine sliced sirloin, Filet Mignon, shrimp diazole, Ahi tuna, wild mushroom spaghetti, asparagus, baby portabella mushrooms, fingerling potatoes, broccoli florets, plus a cold water lobster tail for reservations between 5:00 and 10:00 pm. For dessert enjoy dark chocolate or white chocolate creme brulee.
Call the Melting Pot at (630) 717-8301 to make your reservations.