Moving to a new home can be a very exciting time, although dealing with packing up your belongings, moving all the boxes, and unpacking everything can be daunting. Here are 8 things you can do to make your move go smoother!
1. De-clutter your house: When going through your belongings, ask yourself questions such as Do I need it?, Do I love it?, Will I use it? , etc. If you cannot honestly answer yes to two of these questions, consider getting rid of it before your big move. Hold a garage sale, sell items online, etc. Having less to move will reduce your moving costs and make your life easier.
2. Storage Unit: If you are selling your home, you may want to consider putting some of your belongings in a storage unit and only keeping items in your current home that may assist with staging.
3. Cut down on your food items: Before you move, start using up your canned goods, frozen food, and other foods that will not travel well. Make an effort to only buy food that will get consumed before the move.
4. Pack items room by room: Pack your boxes according to what room they belong in and label them accordingly. For important necessity items, place those in boxes market open first. These boxes may contain items such as some clothing, toiletries, etc.
5. Put aside your most important items: Things such as medication, passports, checkbooks, etc. should be put aside. Consider not putting them into boxes that will be on a moving truck, just to ensure their safe keeping.
6. Arrange care for your children and pets on moving day: Having your kids and pets away from the home on moving day will ensure their safety and also make moving easier.
7. Don’t forget about your utilities: Schedule the disconnection and transfer of your utilities and cable for the day after you move out of your home to make sure that you will have access to them.
8. Pay attention to your home’s condition: If you are selling your home, be sure to document the condition of it, noting an damage that was done before the moving crew shows up.