Tax season is going to be upon us soon and there are many benefits waiting for homeowners:
- Mortgage Interest: This is a huge money saver and can be taken on both primary and secondary homes, as long as you itemize your return and your loan is less than one million dollars.
- Mortgage Points: Points, which are percentage based fees that a lender charges to originate a loan, are seen as a type of mortgage interest which is paid in advance. As long as you meet certain requirements, you can deduct these points in full the year they were paid.
- Property Taxes: The amount you paid in property taxes can be entered on your federal form for as long as you own the home. You can find this amount by looking at your annual statement that you just received by your lender. This must be an itemized expense.
- Home Improvements: Many homeowners took on various home improvement projects in the last year and you may have been one of those homeowners as well. Projects range from adding additional square footage, replacing the roof, etc. The money spent on these projects will help to lower your tax bill.
Plainfield is ranked one of the top places in Illinois to own a home according to a study by NerdWallet! Plainfield landed #2 out of 121 towns in Illinois according to homeownership rates, median household income, selected monthly owner costs, and population change.
“Will County’s oldest community, Plainfield has a unique mix of historic buildings and new construction housing quaint shops and restaurants in its central business district. Three of its local sites even appear on the National Register of Historic Places. Agriculture and industry are also part of Plainfield’s landscape, giving it a rural feel with suburban convenience. It’s also a village with a commitment to the environment: the “Green Village” Program incorporates various plans and ordinances to ensure that new development and day-to-day activities remain sensitive to the environment. It also sits at the top of our list for median monthly household income at $9,303.”
- Illinois is home to the world’s largest bottle of catsup-www.catsupbottle.com.
- Illinois was the first state to ratify the 13th amendment to end slavery.
- Illinois had two other state capitals prior to Springfield; Kaskaskia and Vandalia.
- Only two buildings survived after the great Chicago fire; the Chicago Water Tower and Pumping Station.
- Ronald Reagan’s well known childhood home is in Dixon, IL but he was born in Tampico.
- The Ice Cream Sundae was started in Evanston, IL.
- The Chicago Post Office located at 433 West Van Buren is the only postal facility in the world that you can drive a car through.
- The Nabisco factory located in Chicago is the world’s largest bakery with a size of 1,800,000 square feet.
- Elzie Crisler Segar, the creator of Popeye, was born in Chester, IL.
- Illinois generates more nuclear power than any other state.
If you are looking for some fun things to do in Plainfield and the surrounding area, check out these deals from Groupon:
- $35 for 5 Yoga classes at Essence of Life in Shorewood ($75 value)
- $39 for a one or three month gym membership with personal training sessions at MPG Fitness LLC in Plainfield (up to 79% off)
- $29 for 30 or 60 days of unlimited yoga classes at Twist Yoga Lounge in Plainfield (up to 76% off)
- 50% off wine tasting for 4, 10, or 20 with 50% off in store purchases at WineStyles in Shorewood
- $9 to see American English (Beatle’s tribute) and one drink at Moe Joe’s in Joliet on Friday, December 19th at 9 pm
- $30 for wine tasting for 4, tapas, and a bottle of wine at Montage Wine Bar and Tasting Room in Morris ($75 value)
- $5 for a single day admission for two at the Joliet Area Historical Museum (regular price is $12)
- $28 for paintball for 2, 4, or 8 with marker, paintballs, and gear at CPX Sports in Joliet (Up to 71% off)
- $10 for ice skating admission and skate rental for 2 or 4 at Seven Bridges Ice Arena in Woodridge (up to 53% off)
- $64 for a three lap ride along or three hour driving experience at Mario Andretti Racing Experience in Joliet (up to 51% off)
- $41 for four 30 minute voice lessons at Music Lessons By Maggie in Joliet ($90 value)
- 5, 10, 20 or one month of unlimited marital arts classes at Chikara Martial Arts Academy in Plainfield (up to 60% off)
With cold and flu season in full swing, many of us are looking for ways to help our kids get over being sick. Below is a recipe for electrolyte pops which will help your children stay hydrated while sick:
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup filtered or coconut water
- 1 or 2 tbsp raw honey or organic maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Combine ingredients into a bowl until completely blended
- Pour into either pop molds or an ice cube tray and freeze halfway
- Add pop sticks and then return the pops to the freezer until completely frozen