Happy Memorial Day
The village is hosting a Memorial Day parade tonight beginning at 5:30 PM that is followed by a free concert and an ice cream social. Children can also participate in a bike decorating contest for kids ages 5-8 and 9-14. The bicycle entries should line up at 5:30 pm at the Towne Center subdivision at Moran and Peyton for judging. Guests are encouraged to bring blankets and lawn chairs.
The Plainfield American Legion will host their annual Memorial Day parade on Monday beginning at 10:30 am at Ira Jones Middle School located at 15320 S Wallin Drive. The parade will move east to Ottawa Street before travelling onto the path of Settlers’ Park near Van Dyke Road and Ottawa Street. The parade will continue until reaching the Memorial located in the park and conclude with a flag raising ceremony. Wallin Drive at Ottawa Street, Ottawa Street from Wallin Drive to Van Dyke Road and Van Dyke Road at Ottawa Street will be closed during the parade, from about 10:15 am until 10:45 am and parking will be restricted at these areas from 10 am till 11 am. Some parking is available at Village Hall and up and down Village Center Drive. More parking will be available on Van Dyke Road south of Ottawa Street and at Ira Jones Middle School.
Plainfield was recently ranked #2 out of 121 towns in Illinois as a top spot for home ownership. As Will County’s oldest community, Plainfield offers a great mix of historic buildings, new construction and awesome shops and restaurants in the central business district. Plainfield has a rural feel but offers all of the conveniences of a suburban community. Plainfield also participates in a Green Village program which works to ensure that new developments as well as day to day activities are run with an awareness for the environment. Come and check out Plainfield for yourself and discover what makes this such a great community to live in and be a part of!
- Decorate your outdoor space with American flags, red, white, and blue balloons, table cloths, flowers, plastic dinner ware, etc. Don’t forget that if you are flying the American flag on this special day, it flies at half-staff until noon.
- Enjoy a parade before your party
- Grill the standard hamburgers, hot dogs, and brats. If marinating the meat, put together the marinades now and let the meat sit in them until the big day. Try going the unconventional route and grill up some mini pizzas; roll out pizza dough and form it into mini pizza circles. Place the dough on the grill and when the bottom is a nice golden brown, flip it over. Add your favorite pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese and then close the grill cover for a few minutes to give the toppings and cheese a chance to melt.
- For dessert, bake a rectangular sheet cake, frost with whipped cream, then decorate the top with strawberries and blueberries to look like the American flag. If short on time, buy store bought cupcakes decorated with red, white, and blue frosting.
- Enjoy this special day!
Sovereign, a craft beer focused farm to fork eatery, is set to open in downtown Plainfield sometime around mid-July. The location, 24205 W. Lockport St., will have an outdoor patio for guests to enjoy as well. Check back for more information as the grand opening gets closer!
Nabby’s has been open since 1990 and has been offering Plainfield and surrounding communities great food and catering service. The menu is expansive, offering entrees ranging from calzones to Vienna hot dogs. Nabby’s also offers catering for events both small and large.
14802 N Michigan Street
Plainfield, IL 60544
Now that the weather is finally getting nicer, it’s time to fire up the grill again! Here’s a delicious recipe for grilled chicken:
Marinated Chicken Breasts
- 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar (apple cider, red wine, or balsamic)
- 2-3 teaspoons of dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary, or oregano
- 1-2 tablespoons mustard (whole grain or dijon)
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic or onion powder, optional
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 6 ounces each
- Put the vinegar, herbs, mustard, powders if using, and oil in a large resealable plastic bag. Close the bag and shake to combine all of the ingredients. Open the bag and put the chicken breasts in; close the bag and shake it to evenly coat the chicken. At this point, the bag of marinated chicken can be frozen for up to two weeks if you are not going to grill right away.
- Grill the chicken for about 4 minutes per side or until it’s completely cooked through. You can also bake the chicken in a 375 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes or until fully cooked.