Credit: Freedigitalphotos.net By: Grant Cochrane
The Plainfield East High School Band Boosters are hosting their 5th annual pancake breakfast and vendor fair. The event will take place tomorrow, Saturday March 1st from 8 am until 1 pm. For $5 a person, you can enjoy all you can eat pancakes while you shop from 40 different vendors. This special event also features raffle prizes as well.
Plainfield East High School
12001 S. Naperville Road
Plainfield, IL 60585
Credit: Freedigitalphotos.net By:kjnnt
In honor of the upcoming Mardi Gras holiday, here is a recipe for a Muffuletta. Muffulettas are popular submarine style sandwiches made popular by Italian immigrants in New Orleans. The recipe below is from Food Network chef, Giada De Laurentiis:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 10 large pitted green olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup pitted and chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (1 pound) round bread loaf
- 4 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 4 ounces thinly sliced mortadella
- 4 ounces thinly sliced salami
- 4 ounces sliced provolone
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 ounces arugula leaves
- Whisk the first three ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Gradually blend in the oil. Stir in the olives and roasted peppers. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Cut the top 1 inch of the bread loaf. Set the top aside. Hollow out the bottom and top halves of the bread. Spread some of the olive and pepper mix over the bread bottom and cut side of the bread top. Layer the meats and cheese over the bread bottom. Top with the onions then the arugula. Spread the remaining olive and pepper mix on top of the sandwich and carefully cover with the bread top.
- Cut the sandwich into wedges and serve.
Credit: Freedigitalphotos.net By: voraorn
In 2011, Shorewood resident Luanne Peck started the Illinois Chapter of Breast Intentions. This organization helps to support breast cancer patients who are struggling financially. Since it’s inception, Breast Intentions has helped 19 local women with everything from buying groceries to paying their mortgage. Breast Intentions is an organization that health care providers usually introduce their patients to when they need help and health insurance isn’t able to be of assistance.
Breast Intentions hosts many fundraisers throughout the year, however the upcoming Mardi Gras event is their largest. Mardi Gras Madness will take place this Friday, February 28th from 7 pm till 10 pm at the Jacob Henry Mansion Victorian Ballroom which is located at 15 S. Richards Street, Joliet. Tickets for the event are priced at $30 per person and can be purchased at the door. Jambalaya and appetizers will be served. The event also includes raffles, lots of beads, a chocolate fountain and a photo booth for guests to capture memories from the occasion. Guests will enjoy music from Nova Soul, a quartet featuring jazz, soul music, and modern pop.